lynx-dev https etc (was something meaningless)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev https etc (was something meaningless)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 21:23:07 -0400 (EDT)

980523 Jacob Poon wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 1998 address@hidden wrote:
>> I have been using Lynx for quite some time now,
>> because I hate GUI interfaces and bloatware such as netscape IE ...
>> But they both have a feature that I have not been able to find with lynx
>> and that is support for https, will/does lynx have this support in it?
> Lynx does have this feature as a patch, but only for qualified recipients.

ie US or Canadian citizens who promise not to export it
(Canadian regulations on this are much looser than US law).

the starting-point for all inquiries is Supported URLs in the on-line help,
which has a link to Lynx Links, where one goes to Patches.

> US versions of ARJ, JAR & Netscape/IE all come with `forbidden encryptions',
> but their primary sites don't block those files from the foreign users
> and none of involved parties have been sued so far.

the problem for us is that US members can't risk the thought of prosecution
by their over-zealous (to put it mildly) law-enforcement types ...