Re: lynx-dev A public Lynx Browser in Europe?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A public Lynx Browser in Europe?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:17:03 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Victor Reynolds said:

> Is there anyone out there who can  direct me to a TELNET address for
> a lynx browser in Europe so that I can once more enjoy unfetterd access
> to the web? Or could I load Lynx onto my 386PC with 4 Mg RAM and 100Mg
> HD.?
>
> If you can be of any help I would really appreciate it if you would
> Email me at < address@hidden >.

If anybody out there can Just Do It, fine.

Otherwise, here is a somewhat bureaucractic response that will take
patience, but could lead to better support for Lynx all around.

There is a group getting organized in the W3C WAI concerned with
Evaluation and Repair tools.  Since reviewing Web pages as
presented by Lynx is one of the helpful hints in the WAI Page
Author guidelines, making telnettable Lynx copies available (and
productizing the Win32 port further) are in principle in scope
for this group.  But we need devoted Lynx users to participate in
the requirements discussion to drive that point home and get it
on the agenda of the tool-kit builders and integrators.  We can't
expect Lloyd, Gregory, and Kelly Ford to join all the lists.
They will back you up when you need a qualified witness that Lynx
availability is one of the components of Web accessibility.

To follow up on this, go to www.w3.org/WAI or
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/ and sniff out the
Evaluation and Repair (formerly Rating and Certification)
organization process.

Al