lynx-dev problem with lynx with a rpm address

From: Stephane Payrard
Subject: lynx-dev problem with lynx with a rpm address
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:12:19 +0200

I am starting using lynx as a light and welcome alternative to heavy
mozilla.

I often launch it using xemacs browse-url-at-point the variable
browse-url-browser-function set to 'browse-url-lynx-xterm. That's cool
because there is no cutting and pasting of URL. But there is a
difficulty.. When the URL is a rpm file that I want to save as such, I
often have problems.

1/ lynx tries to show me the rpm (why? it is not an ASCII file)
2/ sometimes it exits complaining for lack of /dev/audio!!
    Yes, I know that /dev/audio is not configured on my Linux box
3/ when exiting the xterm window, the diagnostic message disappear
   with the xterm window.

You can reproduce the problems:
1/ initializing correctly xemacs to lauch lynx:
    (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-lynx-xterm)
2/  by calling browse-url-at-point in  xemacs with the point over the following
o Download RPM (http://ixtas.fri.uni-lj.si/~markom/icewm/icewm-0.9.6-1.i386.rpm)

I just downloaded the last version from Redhat but a previous version
had the same problem.

# rpm -q lynx
lynx-2.8-4
M-x version said: xemacs  20.3
# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.0.32 (address@hidden) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #4 Wed Jan 28
18:13:37 MET 1998

Any hint is welcome. Is there a way to tell lynx (switch or config
file) that .rpm are binary files.?

I am a seasoned UNIX programmer but a totally new
lynx user. Please include me in the answer because I do not belong
(yet?) to lynx-dev

stef