Re: lynx-dev HELP ABOUT NEWS IN LYNX

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HELP ABOUT NEWS IN LYNX
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:01:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 address@hidden wrote:

(about the DOS port of lynx)
> I'm trying to connect to my news user
> but I don't get it anymore.

News and FTP have never worked in the DOS port of lynx. The only ways
that I know to read news with the DOS port of lynx would be to have a
news proxy set or to run an EXTERNAL program that was a news reader.

I haven't tried to do news online with DOS lynx. It can probably be set
up with minuet or the trumpet newsreader (although the latter uses a
different TCP/IP stack and might cause conflicts), but neither of these
is free. Offline reading of news on DOS if you don't have a shell
account can be done using uka_ppp as the news transport agent (but once
again, I haven't tried this personally).
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)