Re: lynx-dev Re: SUGGESTION: New feature for LYNX (fwd)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: SUGGESTION: New feature for LYNX (fwd)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:46:59 +0100 (BST)

> > I am familiar with using user:pass userinfo in ftp URLs and
>
> Well... my question now: is there a chance that this feature will be
> implemented in one of the future lynx versions ?

[user:pass@ in HTTP]

I think it is necessary to understand that the main reason for having
user and password in ftp URLs is that not every FTP server supports
anonymous logins, so people have created public accounts with real
usernames and passwords.

On the other hand, if there is a user name and password on HTTP, it is
really there for access control.

As such, generalising the ftp URL form to http (I think this is going
beyond the standards, but am not sure) will encourage unsafe security
practices amongst those who don't properly understand the risks.