lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev21] patch: Cosmetic changes to internal pages

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev21] patch: Cosmetic changes to internal pages
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:24:06 +0100

(22/08/1998 12:19) David Woolley:

>> * Printing and Download pages are divided into two sections: 'Default'
>>   and 'External' (I need help here; I wasn't sure about the naming, so
>>   these are just first guesses from non-native English speaker).
>
>I would use "Standard" and "Local Additions".

OK.

>>      <h1>You have reached...page<br>(Lynx Version ...)</h1>.
>
>Although not actually illegal, I think this sets a bad precedent of
>trying to force physical layout (even though one knows the target browser,
>although not the screen width).  It is doing this with GUIs as targets that
>is making pages more and more unreadable under Lynx.
>>
>>   The reason for this was to gain a line which was taken when <h2> is
>>   used.
>
>H2 is probably wrong as well; what's really wanted is an H1A, but there is
>nothing comparable in HTML.

Before I go further on this patch I want to list what we have in our
_internal_ pages; we have got basicly three main lines of `strings':
XYZ_OPTIONS_TITLE, H1_STRING_FOR_XYZ, and LYNX_NAME_AND_VERSION (mixed
in H1 and H2).

My _marginal_ view is that I would rather like to get rid of H1_STRING,
because for most of the pages, it is almost the same with the title. So
my proposal is this:
                                                        XYZ_OPTIONS_TITLE
                     LYNX_NAME_AND_VERSION-with-H1

<!-- Main body starts here (which saves 2 lines) -->
-or-
I can be even more marginal and i can put LYNX_NAME_AND_VERSION with the
title like this:
                                XYZ_OPTIONS_TITLE (LYNX_NAME_AND_VERSION)

<!-- Main body starts here (which saves 4 lines) -->

My whole point is that all these pages are internal; _information_
displayed within the page and space occupied with this information are
more important then 'traditional'
the other Lynxers) tend to try to fit into 80x24 screen. This is another
reason for saving 4 more lines.

If the community agrees in either of the `heading' structure then I am
willing to work on it to make a standard internal page structure.

>This was too small to justify the inconvenience of having to unzip it,
>and in any case the content type is gzipped, not gunzipped.

I informed 'mutt' development list. It is because of the distributed
'mime.types'. If one uses without checking this is what happens. Thanks.
(ps: as a preference I usually compress > 10K attachments).

Sinan.
--
Sinan Kaan Yerli <address@hidden>