Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 08:00:07 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Thu Sep  3 15:38:56 1998
> From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
>
> 980903 David Combs wrote:
> > This code:  who&#151;he's my boss&#151;who runs
> > comes out as  who-he's my boss-who runs .
> > maybe we should show it as "--" or, even better, as " -- ".
>
> yes, i've noticed this regularly in one newspaper (Washington Post?).
> you're right, it should be ` -- ': that's correct secretarial style.
>
> and while we're on it, Lynx should write  2  spaces after a full stop:
> that's also professional secretarial practice.

RE 2 spaces after period or question-mark or bang, emacs seems to
like it too, in certain modes.  Makes it easier for software to
find the end of a sentence; else gets confused by abbreviations,
eg "I went to D.C. yesterday.  What did you do?"

I imagine lots of take stuff from the net, originally html, and
grab it from lynx in .txt, and then use it within OTHER things,
that will be edited, run through printing software, etc.