Re: lynx-dev I need help

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev I need help
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Saumitri Sankar Guha wrote:

> Toshiba laptop with Win. 95.  I do not have a TCP/IP account, as I have to
> make an STD call to Calcutta (India) and this works out as a costly
> affair.  So I am using a Shell account, and a local INET facility which
> allows local calls to the Internet Service Provider (VSNL).  I am using a
> 33.6Kbps modem (Motorola) with my machine.  I cannot configure the Windows
> Internet Explorer with a Shell account, so I am using the modem software
> called Quicklink fax.  This makes reading Shell text real hell as it
> scrolls through very fast and the text is all jumbled.

This sounds like a problem with your communications software. You should
probably use a more standard communications program from DOS when
communicating with your shell account. Choices are many and include
MSKERMIT and QMODEM, which are free. It sounds as if your shell account
is expectimg a VT100 emulation, which is not provided by your
communication program. If you have a WinModem, you may be forced to use
windows software to call to your shell account.
"http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskorder.html";
"ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/qmodem/qm46td-1.zip";
"ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/qmodem/qm46td-2.zip";

> Would you please help me with this problem.  Is it possible for me to use
> a Virtual TCP/IP software with my shell account through Win. 95.  How do I
> download and from where.

It is possible to emulate a ppp connection on a shell account with the
SLIRP program. You have to compile it on your shell account and do some
setup, which may be tricky. Slirp is no longer supported by its author.
You can get slirp from:
"http://blitzen.canberra.edu.au/slirp/";

Slirp is free. There is also a shareware program which uses lynx on your
shell account to simulate an internet connection, called SlipKnot. See:
"http://plaza.interport.net/slipknot/slipknot.html";

This problem seems not to be directly related to lynx. You can write to
me off the list if you still have problems.
                                   Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)