Re: lynx-dev lynx proxy IP lookups (fwd)

From: Steve Howe
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx proxy IP lookups (fwd)
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 01:20:26 -0800 (AKDT)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> for starters, you need to tell us what version of Lynx you are using:
> if you're not using 2-8, you'll almost certainly be told: "Update!".
> also, it would help to know your hardware & software platform.

i'm sorry, i was bashed for posting it in a FBSD
maillist, and it was part of a thread in which
i stated that it was 2.8.

2.2.7 is the latest version of FBSD (which i think i mentioned)
and 2.8 is the package that comes with it.

briefly, to restate, the problem is that lynx
(when using proxy http and no_proxy localhost)
gets a local page off a client (running apache)
when that path on the local server (that the
client is connected to, also running apache)
is not complete (ie, assuming an index.html,
for example http://gateway/www).  however,
things work correctly, if a complete path
is specified - http://gateway/www/index.html,
the page off the gateway (server) is then
loaded instead of the one off localhost.

i discovered this because my gateway (server)
and localhost (client) are mirrored, and it
frustrated the heck out of me at first ;)

i apologize.  if i should resend the lengthy
email describing the outcome of all available
no_proxy options and my config files, please
let me know.  lastly, thanks for all your work.
i love lynx!