Re: lynx-dev Patch for More Speech Friendly Lynx

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch for More Speech Friendly Lynx
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 98 09:07:50 EDT

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 22:42:52 -0400 (EDT),
Al Gilman   <address@hidden> wrote:

>to follow up on what Leonid Pauzner said:
>
>> Do you feel agree with something like -blind command line
>> to get together several items like disable 'progress' statusline messages,
>> your (LINK) staff etc. ?
>
>Ideally before fixing the functionality of a -blind switch, we
>would compare with the pre-sets in the lynx.cfg at BLYNX and get
>Lloyd to check over the choices.
>
>Different people still have different preferences.

I agree.  I meant to say something sooner.  Let's not do that
hastily.  For example, on the Link patch submitted last week,
Vocal-Eyes and other screen readers allow you, if you wish, to
substitute some user-specified string for a color found on the screen,
and not announce any colors which are not in this "attribute
dictionary".  I have a Lynx configuration set up where Link is
inserted by the screen reader in front of links.  Nothing tells me in
the stream of speech where the  link ends, but I can cursor through
the links and find out quickly.  We basically need plenty of testing
and more feedback.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/