Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:01:25 -0400 (EDT)

> >> that sysadmins who know what they are doing still can't prevent it?
> >> that anyone can set up a symlink to a file they don't own?
> > It is the nature of symlinks.  For instance, you can create a symlink
> > to a file that does not (yet) exist. Symlinks to not-yet-created files
> > have several important uses.  So do symlinks to not-owned files.
> > Removing those abilities would be both difficult and damaging
> > to the normal operation of the system.
>
> i've never needed to create a symlink,
> tho' i can see why the sysadmin has one for  /homes .
> can you back up your general assertions with real examples?

$ id
uid=203(lwv26) gid=288(dept26)
$ ls -l /tmp/not-there /tmp/l-not-there
ls: /tmp/not-there: No such file or directory
ls: /tmp/l-not-there: No such file or directory
$ ln -s /tmp/not-there /tmp/l-not-there
$ ls -l /tmp/not-there /tmp/l-not-there
ls: /tmp/not-there: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx   1 lwv26    dept26         14 Oct 10 09:59 /tmp/l-not-there ->
/tmp/not-there
$ ls -l /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys           501 Oct 10 01:43 /etc/passwd
ls: /tmp/l-passwd: No such file or directory
$ ln -s /etc/passwd /tmp/l-passwd
$ ls -l /etc/passwd /tmp/l-passwd
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys           501 Oct 10 01:43 /etc/passwd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 lwv26    dept26         11 Oct 10 10:00 /tmp/l-passwd ->
/etc/passwd

Bela is saying nothing but the truth with regard to BSD and System V.4
based systems with symlinks.
<URL:http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."