lynx-dev LYNX: SUGG: caching of parsed output pages

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: SUGG: caching of parsed output pages
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

Lynx currently does caching of a certain amount of bytes (I suppose)
worth of downloaded (and parsed, I think) www-pages.

I imagine it works via LRU.

PERHAPS this would be worthwhile:

Ability of a user to say, about the current page, "I will
want to come back here -- please give THIS page a bit higher
lru-priority".

Then, later on in the browsing, the user can do a "history"
page (backspace), or a "V" (all visited pages so far report),
and ON those reports, all pages STILL IN the lru-cache are
specially marked somehow, and maybe those EXPLICITLY asked to
be retained (by the user, via this new suggested feature) would
have a DIFFERENT or 2nd mark.

Anyway, the user could then (via vi-numbers) go DIRECTLY to
what he wanted to, and (as he can today) not have to
back-up that "tree path" one by one.

---

Oh, as one of the typeouts on the info-page part of the options
page, it could also type out the current allowable cache-size,
what % filled it is, etc.  (He might be able to edit it right
there, or maybe have to rerun lynx with a new (bigger) one).

---

For the umpteenth time, I again suggest some way to "pop" the
history stack WITHOUT having to actually VISIT the page.

This idea relates, one way or another, to the above LRU stuff.

---

ANY COMMENTS ON THESE IDEAS?

David