Re: lynx-dev Autoconf patch for S/390 (EBCDIC)

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Autoconf patch for S/390 (EBCDIC)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:16:52 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Mike Castle said:

> Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:55:44 -0600 (CST)
>
> I've not been following the 390/autoconf stuff too closely, however, I
> thought you might want to know that there has been some posts gnu.utils.bug
> (I think) that has been dealing with autoconf and EBCDIC systems.
>
> The stuff appears archived on www.dejanews.com (search on: ~g gnu.utils.bug
> ebcdic).
>
> Maybe nothing pertinent.  Maybe something that can prevent duplicate
> efforts.

Thanks for the pointer.  In fact, this gets two hits.  Summarized:

       Author:   Martin Kraemer
       Email: address@hidden
    If this could be integrated into the standard autoconf distribution, we
    could save us (and our customers) a lot of work ;-)

This adds a config.guess test for the BS2000 Siemens mainfraime.
This is parallel to and independent of MKS's test for S/390.  I agree
that both BS2000 and S/390 should be integrated with standard autoconf.
Perhaps TED knows how to achieve this.

       Author:   Dorner Thomas
       Email: address@hidden
    + #ifdef IS_EBCDIC_HOST

... in contention with my use of merely "EBCDIC".  Perhaps Thomas
will be interested in my automated test for EBCDIC, now available
in the archive at:

    http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1098/msg00802.html

And you inspired me to do an Alta Vista search on "+autoconf +EBCDIC",
which gets many hits, notably:

       Linkname: The Apache EBCDIC Port

            #ifdef CHARSET_EBCDIC

... in contention with the two previous.  Clearly standardization
is desirable.

-- gil