Re: lynx-dev Win95 (compiled) won't start

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Win95 (compiled) won't start
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:10:00 -0500 (EST)

981030 Benjamin Sittler wrote:
> 981030 Manan Shah expanded a bit:
>> i just got Lynx, but when I start it, it says it has performed
>> an illegal operation and will be terminate.
>> I am running windows 95 and the lynx version is 2.8.
>> THe lynx is already compiled and I got it from www.download.com.
>> The directory LYNX.COM is in is "C:\lynx2-8//samples/lynx.com"
> 1. I think Lynx is supposed to be an EXE file, not a COM file.
> 2. This suggests that you called your download '...lynx.com'
> when in fact it is an EXE file or a ZIP file.
> 3. Try renaming it to simply 'lynx.zip'
> and opening it with WinZip or something similar (pkunzip, etc.)

yup: i just went to  www.download.com/  & followed their links:
what you get is 2-8-1.zip from the regular Lynx distribution point.
so i would advise going to  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/
& downloading 2-8-1.zip directly from there.
you'll then have to unzip it (above), then compile it:
see the clear & detailed instructions in INSTALLATION.
if you run into problems anywhere along the way, ask again here:
it shouldn't be too difficult if you do carefully what it says.

> 4. If that fails, try renaming it to 'lynx.exe' and running it.

you can TRY this first, just in case, but i doubt if it'll work.

send your messages to lynx-dev & look for replies in the Archive
at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev/ .