lynx-dev Trouble With Proxy-Server

From: juan_gutmann
Subject: lynx-dev Trouble With Proxy-Server
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:30:08 +0000

Hi!!!

I'm a Lynx Fanatic. I use it a lot at Home, under Linux and Windows 98 with
great results.
I like it a lot, it's my number 1 choice when I browse the Web, I prefer it
even over a GUI-Browser Like Netscape or MSIE.

At the office, I want to use the Number 1 browser in the world, too!!! But I
have the following problem:

The Web connection at the office is thru a proxy-server. So, I edited lynx.cfg,
added the proxy server address to the corresponding protocols. (I%m under
Windows95 there, using the Lynx 2.8.1 Win32 binaries I got from
lynx.browser.org). Then i call lynx.exe with the -pauth switch, but it doesn%t
work. I suppose the problem is, my username at the Proxy Server has the form
"lastname-firstname", so i call lynx this way:
lynx.exe -pauth=lastname-firstname:mypassword , and it doesn't work, i guess
because the username has an "-" in it, and so lynx assumes "-firstname" is a
switch, like "-pauth" and so the complete username is not received.

I get the following message from LYNX when I execute it:

Alert: Invalid Header 'Proxy-Authenticate: NTLM'

and then:

Show the 407 message body? (y/n)

If i answer yes, I obviously get an HTTP 407 error.

I'm very disappointed, because i really want to use Lynx at the office.

I can%t change the username to avoid the "-" , I already talked to the Proxy
Server administrator, and he won't change my username to anything withouth the
"-", because
that's the standard for every user in the company.

Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot!!!

Yours Sincerely,

Juan Gutmann