Re: lynx-dev Lynx and SSL-encrypting

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and SSL-encrypting
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:05:51 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> This has probably been covered a zillion times in the past, and I saw someone
> mention that they thought that even making it easy to make Lynx do SSL through
> hooks would be disallowed.  I really don't get that..  Let's talk just in
> the US for example.
>
> Why couldn't Lynx code contain the following..
>
> #ifdef DO_SSL
> #include "SSLStuffHeaderFile.h"
> #endif
>

> #ifdef DO_SSL
>                       CallTheSSLStuff();
> #endif
>
> and CallTheSSLStuff would be implimented in a package you got separately and
> unpackaged on top of your existing Lynx package, so it plopped sources in the
> right places?

I think the only reasoning against this is that no one seems to have tried
it yet.  mutt has pgp hooks (all they do is *call* an external pgp binary
for messages with the proper mime-type), for example, and rather than risk
it, the US-export version is without pgp hooks.

I think everyone is afraid to push the government's buttons here, with good
reason.

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4