Re: lynx-dev Lynx for DOS386+

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx for DOS386+
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 99 11:28:48 EST

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:35:00 +0530,
Shafi Ahmed  <address@hidden> wrote:

>    I have two small queries .=20
>1) I just want to know whether Lynx  DOS386+ supports external mail =
>clients for sending mails apart from it's own mail client .  =20
>    What I mean by external mail client is Eudora or Outlook Express . =20

It looks like you're using and asking about a Win95 product.  You
should probably be using Lynx/32 for Windows 95/98/NT, also
available from www.fdisk.com .

I don't know if it is possible to change the mail agent from
sendmail.exe.  It would be done in the .mailcap file, and/or
lynx.cfg.  I'm not sure it would work, although some other helper
applications do work.

>2) What version of HTML does it support .

Lynx doesn't officially support any particular flavor of HTML, but it
is continuously under development.  It handles many HTML 4 constructs,
but probably comes closest to HTML 3.0, which was never adopted by the
WWW Consortium because browser wars erupted.  If you go by the sttrict
DTD of HTML 4.0, don't use Java, Javascript or ActiveX controls, and
provide alternative content for your graphics, you'll do well with
Lynx.  Table support in Lynx is minimal, which is a good thing for
many of us, since tables are mostly being abused for layout purposes
anyway.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/