Re: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:20:18 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Fri Jan  8 21:17:01 1999
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:11:14 -0800
> From: Michael Warner <address@hidden>
>
> On Fri, Jan 08, 1999, Kim DeVaughn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>       [...]
>
> > One other thing I've added is a bit of code to unlink()
> > leftover emacs style backup files~ . I'm wondering how best to
> <snip>

> If the user defines an editor, could it be assumed that s/he has
> used it before, and would have noticed if it was leaving backup
> files strewn about?  <snip>

Agreed.  It would be assumed that someone who specified EMACS
as editor would be familiar WITH emacs, and its leaving around
of those tilde files.

EMACS, besides coming WITH the kitchen sink, also has ways
to specify the format for backup-file names, and even whether
to have backup files at all.

Just do apropos (C-h a   and then the word "backup") to find
all commands and variables dealing with backup files -- oops,
just tried it, didn't find much:

If you move the mouse over text that changes color,
you can click mouse-2 to get more information.
In this buffer, type RET to get full documentation.

Buffer-menu-backup-unmark     Type M-x Buffer-menu-backup-unmark RET
  Command: Move up and cancel all requested operations on buffer on line above.
diff-backup                   Type M-x diff-backup RET
  Command: Diff this file with its backup file or vice versa.
dired-backup-diff             Type M-x dired-backup-diff RET
  Command: Diff this file with its backup file or vice versa.
dired-flag-backup-files       Type M-x dired-flag-backup-files RET
  Command: Flag all backup files (names ending with `~') for deletion.

Well, you can always look in the gnu emacs-manual, also
avail via info.

David