lynx-dev Re: does anyone else see this nit?

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: does anyone else see this nit?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:03:45 -0800

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999, Larry W. Virden (address@hidden) said:

| I notice before I start lynx that there's an unread message in my mailbox.
| I start up lynx, and it tells me there is mail.  That is fine.  However,
| as I use lynx, lynx tells me that I have new mail a couple of times.  So
| I assume that several new piece of mail has arrived.  I exit the web site
| I am using and go to read my mail.  I discover, to my discouragement, that
| the only 'new' mail I have is the one piece that was there before I started
| lynx.  No other mail was read, deleted, or added to the mail box.
|
| So why would lynx tell me more than once that I had new mail, when I didn't?

I think it simply checks to see if there is unread mail in the specified
mailbox, every so often.  I would guess that it just compares the file's
atime against its mtime (though I never bothered to look at the code), and
flashes the msg whenever it performs the check, if atime < mtime.

As with you, this behavior annoyed me to the point of turning the feature
off entirely.  I had hoped that the feature would just add a "sticky"
indicator flag of some sort in the status bar, but no ... it has to do
something intrusive and obnoxious (IMHO).

Ah well ... 'tisn't all that useful anyway if you sort your incoming mail
into seperate files with procmail/etc, since IIRC, you can only specify a
single mailbox for lynx to check.

/kim