lynx-dev Re: *.c sources are displayed incorrectly

From: Vladimir Tchoukharev
Subject: lynx-dev Re: *.c sources are displayed incorrectly
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:10:14 +0200

Al Gilman wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:30:56 +0200 (EET)
> >To: address@hidden
> >From: address@hidden
> >Subject: *.c sources are displayed incorrectly
> >Sender: address@hidden
> >
> >$uname -v
> >FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE #1: Fri Nov 27 11:34:15 EET 1998
> address@hidden:/mnt/d1s
> >0p2/usr/src/sys/compile/GPZ
> >
> >Lynx Version 2.8rel.2
> >
> >File that you are currently viewing
> >
> >   Linkname: Entry into main screen
> >    Charset: iso-8859-1 (assumed)
> >   Owner(s): None
> >       size: 516 lines
> >       mode: normal
> >            ^^^^^^^(Shouldn't this be "document source" like
> >right before pressing '='?)
> >
> >'\' doesn't change the appearence of the file on my
> >screen (when positioned to the same line),
> >I think it should... Or the appearence should be
> >different.
>
> "Toggle document source" refers to source vs. formatted presentations for
> HTML.
>
> For text/plain files such as your .c file, there is no difference, nor
> should there be.

But why should text/plain files (namely .c file) be formatted at all?
I mean why is it formatted and not just displayed? (And for it _is_
formatted, why then not toggle to unformatted mode?)

BTW "lynx -dump ./file.c" and "lynx -source -dump ./file.c"
give different results.

I guess .c file is confused with something like CSS.

> Please send questions such as this to <address@hidden>.

OK, I add this address to CC: for the first time, and I
will switch to it totally with next message.

> Best reagards,
>
> Al
>
> >The following was on my screen before I pressed "=":
> >--------------------
> >for (i = 0 ; i < 2; i++)
> >

> >for (j = 0 ; try_cdrom[j].name ; j++) {
> >

> >if (try_cdrom[j].major >= nblkdev)
> >

> >continue;
> >

> >Currently viewing document source.  Press '\' to return to rendered version.
> >  Arrow keys: Up and Down to move. Right to follow a link; Left to go back.
> > H)elp O)ptions P)rint G)o M)ain screen Q)uit /=search [delete]=history list
> >
> >Other *.c files are not better.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >V.Tchoukharev

Pardon for disturbing you,