Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2-8-1 bookmarks, and useragent

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2-8-1 bookmarks, and useragent
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 01:48:12 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Palmer King (SCFN) wrote:

> I was testing Lynx 2.8.1 with the following statement:
>
> /freenet/bin/lynx -cfg=/freenet/lib/lynx.cfg -homepage=${HOMEPAGE} -nobrowse
> -locexec -resubmit_posts
> -restrictions=mail,useragent,goto,shell,exec_frozen,bookmark,bookmark_exec,change_exec_perms,dotfiles,suspend,dired_support,disk_save,editor,news_post,
jump,option_save

> Note under -restriction I have both "bookmark" and "useragent" to keep our
> freenet patrons from changing these entries on their options screen. Also,
> I was testing using the forms version of the options screen.

Some (many?) of the restrictions were not properly implemented in the
forms options screen.  Well at least the one for bookmarks.  That one
is now in the development version, but I don't know whether all
restrictions are handled right.

I would suggest that you use the old-style options menu for now, if
you need to rely on restrictions; or you may want to compare the 2.8.1
code in LYOptions.c with the current one. (<http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/
lynx2-8-2/src/LYOptions.c> for just that file, for the bookmark restriction
compare the occurrences of no_bookmark.)

> While I could not change the system editor (exactly what we want), I was
> able to change the bookmark file and the useragent. Can you give me a clue
> of what I may have done wrong?

I cannot reproduce your observation as far as useragent is concerned, with
either 2.8.1rel.2 or 2.8.2dev.<recent> the form appears without a text entry
line for User-Agent if -restrictions has useragent.

> BTW, under 2-8, with the old options screen, I could change neither the
> bookmark file or the useragent. That is, it worked as described.

You should still get the old-style menu with 2.8.1rel.2 after setting
FORMS_OPTIONS:FALSE in lynx.cfg.

You may want to apply the patches from <http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-1/
patches/> if you haven't.

Btw., you are using -resubmit_posts ...  Is there really a need for you
for that flag?  I am wondering why it would be necessary.

   Klaus