Re: lynx-dev On invitations and pressure

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev On invitations and pressure
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 05:15:56 -0500 (EST)

990125 Rob Partington wrote:
> 990124 Philip Webb wrote:
>> Bela Lubkin is one of our most valuable contributors,
>> whose comments cannot fairly be characterised as any type of bullying.
> Threatening to remove code sounds like bullying at worst, posturing at best.
> How would people react if I threatened to take down lynx.browser.org?

it would all depend on the context, naturally:
out of the blue, people would be shocked & puzzled;
for a known reason, it would depend on their other views & positions.
Scott McGee threatened very clearly to remove Lynx from SLCC
if we started including encryption in releases,
his reason being fear of government persecution:
in Canada it would be silly paranoia, but down in the USA it probably isn't.

Mr Stahlmann's uninvited invasion of our usually friendly little club
left me with the impression that he is something of a bully himself
& that BL's reaction to his GNU project is based on experience.
BL & other regular programming contributors are  >= 1 Ktime
more important to Lynx than anything GNU might offer,
remembering of course that no one individual is indispensable ... (smile).