Re: lynx-dev Need some specific lynx help

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Need some specific lynx help
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:12:29 +0300 (MSK)

29-Jan-99 14:01 address@hidden wrote:
> I would appreciate if some kind soul can help me out with the following
> specific problems that I am having on my RH5.2 installation. The most
> important issues are first:

> 1     A test script being accessed with lynxcgi url from a html
>       does not seem to run properly, seems like either the support
>       for lynxcgi is not compiled or the string variable is not passed.
>       The form command in the html is:
>       <FORM Method="get" Action="lynxcgi:/root/simpleform.cgi">
                      ^^^
Seems this should be method="post"

>       I suspect that the latter is the problem since lynxexec and others
>       in the same group complain that there is no compiled support, but
>       the lynxcgi does not. It is just silent as it shows another
>       screen.
You have not said us what version of lynx you have installed at RedHat 5.2,
Latest Lynx2.8.1 release hold an information on compile-time settings
under the Information Page (press '=' key and follow the link near the top)

> 2     How do I compile lynx to put all the support and should I?

Go http://lynx.browser.org then follow "2-8-1" link for release page
and download lynx sourses package (I do recommend to try the latest
"development version" since it is more bugfixed against the October release)
Now unzip the package and read INSTALLATION file, especially keep an eye at
the configure options that may be of your interest. Than run ./configure
with few options and "make". after all "make install" and "make install-help"

Now read the lynx.cfg file which is a key for all possible options
(keep a backup of the default configuration for sure).
Do not hesitate to read Lynx User Guide (press 'H' key when you are in Lynx),
this is a very good introduction :-)

> 3     There are lot of links on my RH system that refer to machines
>       outside. I can probably download them. But I do want to retain
This is a hypertext nature of Internet, there is no general workaround ;-)
You can download certain pages or complete directory hierarhies from
the certain site but no more. Instead, you may install proxy (like Squid)
on you dedicated system so all your remote queries will be cached "internally"
and you get the document locally when you try it next time (this is a subject
of proxy settings).

>       their original addresses. So how do I make it such that the
>       original addresses point to some directory in my computer
>       where to find these and also how to elegantly resolve the issue
>       if two of them have the same name at the toplevel. Note that
>       a lot of these are useful help files and they are actually
>       available under gnu, so no copyright issue. Just convenience.
Some Linux distributions vendors morror many linux-related sites on theirs CD,
this may be a help for novice users with limited Internet access.
(this information became obsolete in several months, of course)

> 4     How do I get the archives of this mailing list on lynx-dev and
>       other help, and install elegantly on my system so that I do not
>       have to bother people with already solved questions. But please
>       do help me about the 1-3 since this is a little survival issue!!!

lynx-dev archive mirrored at http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/
Archive can not be easily installed on your local system,
it keeps thousands of messages and probably not the first place to look at
(there are a search engines online, though).

try reading Lynx Users Guide first and lynx.cfg the second,
than start looking elsewhere if you have questions.