Re: lynx-dev Some thought on additional TEXTAREA functions

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Some thought on additional TEXTAREA functions
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:03:28 -0500

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> There's been a number of comments relating to TEXTAREA editing, and
> such, in several threads.  Let me try to summarize and respond to
> them here.
>
> I think the main things I've read, roughly boil down to variations
> on the following topics:

>   3) Provide a method to auto-grow the TEXTAREA, on an "as required"
>      basis, during lynx-based text entry.
>
>    - I like this idea.  Seems like hitting a CR when in the last existing
>      line of the TEXTAREA is the most reasonable "signal" to add a new
>      line (which of course means you would need to use a tab or down-arrow
>      to get out of the TEXTAREA).  This behavior *could* be o(ptional),
>      but that seems a bit "nitsy" to create YAO for (IMHO).  [To those who
>      "run thru" a TEXTAREA with CR's by habit, I can only say ... you must
>      activate alot of buttons / enter alot of links  that immediately
>      follow a TEXTAREA, by accident ... :-) ...]
>
>      Unfortunately (here's the "but"), while probably not too much more
>      difficult to implement than (2) above, each time a line (or group of
>      lines) gets added to the TEXTAREA, the screen needs to be fully
>      redrawn (or so I believe, ATT).
>
>      I'd find it *really* annoying, to have a redraw performed each time
>      I hit a line-adding-CR ...!
>
>      I suppose as a compromise, that when a new line were needed, several
>      could be added at once, similar to the "fixed number" method in (2)
>
>      Ie, typing along <CR>, typing along <CR>, typing in last line <CR>,
>      <refresh> (got 10 new lines to play with), typing along <CR>, typing
>      along <CR>, ..., typing in last line <CR>, <refresh> ...
>
>      Whatdaya think?

If screen refreshes for every few new lines (eg: 10), when only 2 new
lines are added, how should the texts within TEXTAREA be handled?  Should
Lynx:

1. Hide the topmost texts in TEXTAREA?
2. Hide the newly added texts until refresh?

For method 1, users should be notified that TEXTAREA does not show all
lines contained in it.  I do not recommend method 2.

Anyway, automatic growing TEXTAREA has one problem.  If many lines are
inserted in this area (eg: 1000), the TEXTAREA will occupy way too many
lines, growing the web page into a mega-screen mess.

Therefore, to keep screen height in TEXTAREA under control, TEXTAREA is
better handled by putting it in a window, and show only fixed amount of
lines (unless users want otherwise).  The result will be similar to the
Lynx's <OPTION> tag rendering.  When there are more rows in the TEXTAREA
than the amount shown, the status line will notify user on this.  When
refresh occurs, it will only be done within the TEXTAREA window.

The only problem with windowed TEXTAREA though, is that screen readers may
have trouble of reading windowed texts (especially with the scroll bars).