Re: lynx-dev Question on persistent cookie

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Question on persistent cookie
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:16:22 -0800

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999, Brooks Byerly wrote:
> I am running Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 (1998), and trying to use the -dump
> option from the command line to dump the contents of a page.  The page
> has assigned me a persistent cookie for authentication and settings.
> Whenever I use the -dump option, I receive a page that doesn't recognize
> my persistent cookie, but if I start the browser on that page without
> the -dump option, it reads my persistent cookie from my cookie file and
> looks correct.  Any ideas why the cookie is not being noticed when I use
> the -dump option?

This is a known problem in 2.8.1rel.2.  This was fixed in 2.8.2dev.9
with the following patch:

* correct uninitialized de variable in LYCookie.c when dump_output_immediately
  is set.  Also, made a slight change to this mode in LYMain.c, so that cookies
  received will also be written to the cookie file; cleanup() is not called in
  -dump mode (reported by Elwin Oost) - BJP

You can either upgrade to the current dev version of Lynx, or you can
try using my patch.  It's against 2.8.2dev.8, but I just checked and
it looks like it applies okay against 2.8.1rel.2.

<URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/code/lynx-dump_output_cookie.patch>

If it works on 2.8.1, please let me know.

--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.