lynx-dev LYNX: history page: linking FROM; then H-back (bug?)

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: history page: linking FROM; then H-back (bug?)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:47:58 -0800 (PST)

Maybe this is a DWIM optimization for the usual lynx
user.  Maybe not.

Go to the history page.

Go to any link FROM THERE.

H (backup -- HOPEFULLY back to the HISTORY page!)

NOPE, you skip over it, going directly back to where
you went to the history page FROM.

---

Hey, the REASON that I did the history page is so that
I could REVISIT links STILL ON THE STACK.

THAT is where I want to go back to!

----

Suppose I didn't want that; suppose I wanted to skip over
it (like it (mistakenly) does now).

Well, I already have my finger on the H (or whatever);
if the history page turns up (as it should), then just
another jerk of the same finger goes back one more.

No big effort...

However, to get "back" to the history page, the way it works
now, I have to do ANOTHER history page, and lynx has to MAKE it,
too.

---

Why special case this one.  Working the DWIM way it does now
might have suited Foteous, where DWIM would mean DWFM (or whoever
added this (mis)feature).

DWIM stuff is great when, as in emacs, it does what EVERYONE
wants it to do (one of the marks of the genius of emacs and rms).

But for this one, it's probably more like 50-50, those who want
it one way, and those who want it another.  AND, for any given
person, it is ALSO likely 50-50 on any individual time.

For this, then, just stick with the standard "meaning" of h --
a jerk of the finger, no finger left-right movement needed.

David