lynx-dev LYNX: need to change lynx-LOCAL "screen width"

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: need to change lynx-LOCAL "screen width"
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:22:12 -0800 (PST)

I use a 20-inch screen, so I have cols set (in unix, on my netcom
shell account) to 132.  Thus I can get much more stuff on screen
at one time, and scan it (via eyes) much faster.

However, when I want to p(rint) to a file some interesting
thing and email it to a friend, THEIR machine is usually
a pc, used to 80-wide stuff.

SO, what I have been doing is:

C-z
nowide (alias)
fg
C-r (reformat the page)
p(rint)

THEN, I want to get into vi and cut off the top of that
file (always "t5", for historical reasons), which operation
cannot be automated except maybe via perl script because
they differ, and cut off the bottom, usually some lines
of text ABOVE the references: line (again, not automatable),
and the email off the result.

Now, vi screws up on a 20 inch screen when the computer
(netcom) thinks it is 80 wide.  Just garbage for
line-ends, they all turn into line-feeds, etc, horrible.

So I must first do "wide" (alias) to get netcom back to
132, BEFORE running vi (!vi).

So, I've done THAT www-page and emailed it.

---

fg (back into lynx)
screensize is wrong for current page, but who cares, I can
read it.

I h back to main page, browse some more articles (world news stuff),
and see ANOTHER to mail off.

I must repeat the whole sequence!

---

What would be NICE would be a LOCAL (in lynx) way to make
it think screen is 80-wide; then a a mere ^R would get what
I want.

Better yet: it works as a TOGGLE (if no arg); cycles
between two settings, maybe from .lynxrc

---

What would ALSO be nice would be able to go into
an EDITOR from lynx.

I just looked at help for keystrokes, saw "e", and
tried it.

UNFORTUNATELY, it gave me the \ HTML code
for the page, NOT the FORMATTED page -- which is the
page that I of course WANT to edit.

(does this return us to that ancient and still current topic
of keeping the formatted file on disk somewhere?  :-)   )

If I could do THAT, then I could do everything except
the mail from inside lynx, but (same friends each time)
that's easy by a mere ^z !mail fg.

---

I hope this missive generates some thought on this.

THANKS!

David

PS: (by the way, thanks to all those who have been suggesting,
for over a year, that I go to mutt for email.  What a cool program!
(almost as cool as lynx!))  (another neato: trn, of course)