Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need to change lynx-LOCAL "screen width"

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need to change lynx-LOCAL "screen width"
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:09:06 -0800

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 09:25:33PM -0600, Mike Castle wrote:
> Amazingly enough David Combs said:
> > However, when I want to p(rint) to a file some interesting
> > thing and email it to a friend, THEIR machine is usually
> > a pc, used to 80-wide stuff.
>
> A simpler solution might be:
>
> hit 'V' to go to visited links and find the link for the page you're on (It
> would be nice if 'L'inks page made the current page a URL as well).
>
> Now, when on that link hit '.'.
>
> This '.' will spawn a script you have conveniently configured in lynx.cfg
> to point to "lynx_helper.sh" which you have written.
>
> This script of you have written will throw up a menu of choices to do with
> the URL it was just passed.  You will choose the option titled "format and
> mail to friend".
>
> That menu item will prompt you for a subject and list of addresses to mail
> to (actually, if you're good, your script would generate the subject from
> the content of the URL, but we'll assume you went simple first time
> around).
>
> Then, your script will run the commands:
>
> lynx -dump -width=80 -nolist $1 | mail ${addresslist}
>
> Where $1 was, of course, the URL lynx passed to lynx_helper.sh when you
> pressed '.' and ${addresslist} was filled when you did "read addresslist"
> in your Bourne shell script.
>
> In short, with that handy script you've written, you hit the keys 'V',
> downarrow some number of times, '.', menu option from script (your script
> will do other things as well, of course), subject, addresses.

Uh, what language do I write this prompting program in, do
you suggest?  Perl?  C?

Does anyone already have something LIKE this to show?  Something that
could maybe go into the manual as an example trick?

It looks like a neat idea -- maybe a bit overkill for something
that MAYBE some OTHER users (on this list) would also be
able to use, and could be done internally -- although
I have no idea of the lynx code (am not a C programmer,
use something called "Mainsail").

Cranking up eg perl, and another lynx, on a time-shared
machine such as netcom.com's, seems like a lot of overhead
(and time) for an often loaded computer.

But if someone has turn-key example of something LIKE this,
I'd give it a try.

Thanks!

David