Re: lynx-dev Re: [dev16] patchlet for makefile.in

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [dev16] patchlet for makefile.in
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:35:31 -0800

Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 1999, Bela Lubkin (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> | >
> | > when I make a patch.  Also, since FreeBSD (by default) prefixes
> | > its core files with the prog name, let's nuke those as well.
> |
> | UnixWare names corefiles "core.%d" (where %d is the PID).  Other OSes
> | have still other schemes.  I think we could get in trouble trying to
> | encompass this.
>
> How trouble?
>
> Presumably if one says "make clean" or "make distclean", they know what
> they're doing, and what they want.
>
> I'd just suggest adding "core.*" and "*.core" to the rules, and be done
> with it.  It's not like any such filenames should appear in the dist-
> ribution.

Maybe not today, and I suppose if the makefile was continually deleting
them, it's unlikely that anyone would ever add one.  But still.  It just
seems dangerous to me.

> BTW, does UnixWare allow one to alter the core-file naming convention?
> FreeBSD 3.x does, via a sysctl(8) string value (though unfortunately,
> 2-2.x-whatever, such as we have here at Best, does not).

Not that I'm aware of.  Probably not, since I've seen the question
before (from people annoyed at accumulating lots of core.%d files --
obviously they'll rarely overwrite each other), and no helpful response.