Re: lynx-dev [dev17] patch with new TEXTAREA commands, etc.

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [dev17] patch with new TEXTAREA commands, etc.
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:29:52 -0500

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> Here is the latest TEXTAREA patch for -dev.17.  It provides:
>
>  1. A new command named GROWTEXTAREA, which adds 5 new, blank lines to
>     the bottom of a TEXTAREA when executed.  It does not have a default
>     binding, so you need to add a KEYMAP for it in your lynx.cfg.  The
>     number of lines added is fixed by a #define, but 5 seems to be a
>     "reasonable" increment to use, IMO.

Does it really need a key binding at all?  If Lynx grows and shrinks
TEXTAREA automatically, then there isn't much point to manually execute
GROWTEXTAREA anyway.  But since AUTOGROW is optional, for the sake of
flexibility, GROWTEXTAREA should be modifiable to add any number of lines
at runtime, through the use of another lynx.cfg entry.

>  2. A new command named INSERTFILE, which (obviously) inserts a file's
>     contents into a TEXTAREA, just above the line the cursor is on when
>     invoked (which means you cannot insert a file *below* the final
>     existing TEXTAREA line ... but see 1) and 3) for easy ways to over-
>     come this limitation).  It too, has no default binding, so a KEYMAP
>     entry is also needed for it.

Current INSERTFILE command also suffers from another problem:  What if
there is only 1 line in TEXTAREA?  What it should do, is (in addition of
fixing INSERTFILE) to insert text between the current cursor position
(x,y), and the column at its left (x-1,y).  If cursor already at 1st
column, insert text between cursor position and the line break of last
row.  If cursor is at both first line and first column, just add the text
at beginning of TEXTAREA, and push the existing TEXTAREA contents behind
inserted texts.

>  3. By default, when the cursor is on the last line of a TEXTAREA, if
>     you hit the ENTER key, a new line will be added to the TEXTAREA, with
>     the cursor positioned on it.  If that should happen at the bottom of
>     the screen, a DOWN_HALF scroll operation is (effectively) performed.
>
>     Since at least one person objected to this automatic behavior when it
>     was discussed awhile back (BL, IIRC), I've ifdef'd this feature for
>     easy disabling (and to make adding a ./configure option easier).  The
>     symbol is AUTOGROW is #define'd in LYMainLoop.h.

I rather see it as a runtime option instead of compile-time one.