Re: lynx-dev Suggestion: Warn if downloading 'breaks'

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Suggestion: Warn if downloading 'breaks'
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 06:01:11 -0800

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 06:40:16PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:

> I live at the end of a slow internet link, causing my
> downloads to occasionally terminate due to a timeout or
> other network errors.
>
> Is it possible to introduce into lynx a feature to warn
> me whenever a download (or a html file being displayed) has
> terminated abnormally?  This could take the form of a
> warning on the status line (for html being displayed) or
> a warning on the download page display in lynx.
>
> Since most downloaded files include an indication of the
> number of bytes of data to be transferred, introducing this
> option shouldn't be be too difficult?

Maybe not applicable here, but I'll say it in case someone
wants to add this to the user-doc and suggestions.

I have a shell-acct on the ISP; so I run lynx THERE,
then later on tarring all downloaded stuff into two
files, one of the gz'ed files, one into the non-compressed
ones, which tar I then gzip, and download them via Kermit.

What I do is, when done, run the unix function "sum" on
those two tar files on both computers -- the ISP's and mine.

Now, with Kermit, I have NEVER seen an error.  But I still
do it, for safety.

---

I never worry about lynx downloading, it is so fast, being
as it is run ON the isp's directly-connected-to-internet
computer.

Except in one case.  Early on I somehow downloaded stuff
in other than binary mode (via LYNX, that is, ONTO the
isp computer).  This is all quite loudly commented on
for the FTP program and various doc in books, that you have
to say "binary" before the "get".