Re: lynx-dev dev21: What broke "quit on anything other than y"?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev21: What broke "quit on anything other than y"?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:52:12 -0800

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 10:05:12PM -0800, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> <snip>
>   2. The liberal setting: accept "n" [or the local equivalent] to mean
>      "my mistake, do not quit"; anything else as "go ahead, quit".
> <snip>

Change the name from "LIBERAL setting" to "DANGEROUS setting".

---

Actually, I think REQUIRING an explicit y or n is needed.

Better, considering what you lose when you quit lynx, require
an explicit "y-e-s".

---- SOME REASONS:

(1) How often do you mistakenly type "q"?

     Well, as a new user of MUTT, I now find myself hitting "q"
      far more often than before (and by mistake, always!),
      because in mutt you type q just to "return" from a
      mode or level or whatever it might be called.

(2) With lynx, I have learned to NEVER type "q"; I don't know
      what it's doing, but it seems to take FOREVER to exit.
     On my isp, I just "exit" twice, leaving it hanging, letting
       the os kill it.  Sure is faster!

     (at home, I just ^c the thing)

(3) Consider what you LOSE with a "q" -- you have built up
     all this history-page, the V page, with this big record
     of where you've been.  And no restart-info saved into a file.

     So, when I am using lynx and want to run trn or read mail
     or whatever, I just ^Z the lynx and run the other thing,
     which indeed might be ^Z'd itself.

---

I'd care a lot less about this "q" business if lynx made
a restart-here-file, so I could resume exactly where I did the "q".

But until that, make it DIFFICULT to say "q".  I mean, how
often do you say it?  Don't most people just keep it "up"?

David