From: David Woolley
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 12:19:10 +0100 (BST)

> text 1
> <pre>
> preformatted text

> A blank line is missing after "text 1".  Only if I force lynx to use
> "tagsoup", the example is displayed okay.  But it should be the default
> to display:

There is nothing in the HTML specification that requires a blank line here
(and see the last paragraph for an example of HTML validly being rendered
without one) and I don't think there has ever been a formal definition
of the implied style sheet for Lynx, other than the code itself, so I
don't think you have any basis for reporting a bug, although you may
have a valid wish list item.

4 specification says that users agents should ignore such constructs,
and authors should not use them.

With regard to a previous reply, PRE is explicitly listed as being in
the %block category.  This is confirmed by the sample style sheet (example
not normative) in the CSS2 specification, although this also suggests a 1.33em
trailing margin on <p>, although I find that rather large and typically use
0.5em on troff.  I repeat that the specimen style sheet is "informative,
not normative".

The style actually used for the CSS2 specification (in the version rendered
to Postscript with html2ps) has no space after paragraphs, but uses an
indented first line instead, thus demonstrating the decoupling of style and
content in HTML.