Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2-8-2 for VMS

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2-8-2 for VMS
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 07:11:32 -0400 (EDT)

990527 Deborah Kerner wrote:
> Is the Lynx 2-8-2 software for VMS certified as being virus-free?
> My employer has some concerns about downloading and using free software
> from the Internet.  Thanks for any relevant information!

as free software, Lynx comes entirely without legal guarantees
-- ie there's no-one to sue if you run into any kind of problem -- ,
but the volunteers who develop & maintain Lynx take some pride in it
& try to fix bugs promptly when they are discovered.
the latest release -- 2-8-1 -- has no known serious bugs,
not has 2-8-2, which should be released in a few weeks.
make sure you read README, INSTALLATION,  userdefs.h  &  lynx.cfg  carefully.

as for viruses, that depends on the site you download the software from.
if you get Lynx from the regular site --  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/  --
you can rely on it as well as anything you get from the Internet:
it's maintained by responsible people with proper security -- ;
the new mirror at  ftp.digital.com/pub/net/infosys/lynx/current/
should also be quite reliable enough for your purposes.

generally, you can rely on free software from larger better-known sites
being free from damaging viruses or bugs (not the same thing).
the basic thing about free software is you have to hold your own hand (smile)
& take your own normal sensible precautions.