Re: lynx-dev Anyone thinking about lynx support for OBJECT tag?

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Anyone thinking about lynx support for OBJECT tag?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 16:18:13 +0100

In message <address@hidden>,
           "Larry W. Virden" writes:
> I was emailed last week and asked if lynx supported the object tag.
> The URL I was given as a test page was <URL:
> http://www.glinx.com/~hclsmith/tta/>
> - towards the bottom of the page, there is a 'web ring' type construct
> which, as far as I can tell, is 'appropriately' ignored by lynx because
> object isn't supported yet.

Yeah, but, hold on, that shouldn't be ignored because it has an associated
client-side image map which Lynx does handle.  Perhaps an OBJECT's contents
should be examined if it's "obviously" an image?

> Rob, is this something that might be able to be supported if/when lynx
> moves to the new object parsing tree on which you are working?

Erm, I don't know why Lynx is ignoring the contents of the OBJECT tag as
it is, since I thought you put a plain HTML representation of your object
in there?

> To lynxdev in general - in a case where the lynx core functionality were
> to be replaced (say in preparation for better table parsing, etc.)
> how do people think work should proceed?  Seeing how changes/fixes/new code
> kept pouring in during a 'regular' maintenance release, I wonder how work
> would be managed in the case where major functionality is to be changed.

I'd suggest (because I know what my code looks like) that two versions be
looked at to start with.  It's possible to have the object tree code in
a "normal" Lynx without affecting anything else, so that might be a good
place to start -- get the bugs worked out from that first, then start
adding fancy renderers on top.
--
rob partington / address@hidden