Re: lynx-dev Lynx2-8-2rel.1 (Compile/Link Problems Under AIX 4.3.1.0)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx2-8-2rel.1 (Compile/Link Problems Under AIX 4.3.1.0)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:28:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I was trying to avoid making the configure test include the headers since
> the network headers themselves may (often do) have odd dependencies.  We're
> not defining anything that should use threads - so why would that port
> have done this?

Maybe it is the default for that installation.  Could be set in a
spec file for gcc, or some equivalent mechanism for other compilers.

Anyway, since this was with the AIX compiler, we might assume there is
some good reason for it.  We shouldn't second-guess how h_errno or
errno is implemented, just check whether it's there.  There is no
requirement that errno exists as a variable afaik.  (This might even
have something to do, regarding errno, with some rare errors that have
been reported in the past for AIX.)

That should be the goal; I don't know how to achieve this, given that
h_errno might be in a variety of headers, or might be available but
not in a header.

> (I'm aware of some people who blindly add a -D_REENTRANT
> to their compiler definitions, but don't know how we could make their
> program build and run properly in spite of their efforts).

I thought it was Debian's policy to compile everything (or only
libraries?) with this, but can't find a reference for it right now.

   Klaus