lynx-dev Re: FAQ - feedback

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: FAQ - feedback
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:41:57 -0400

On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 11:01:59AM -0400, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, I wrote:
> > I'd like some beta testers to add some questions and answers to the FAQ
> > page currently under construction at SLCC. Please be aware that this is
> > just to test the mechanics; all entries will be purged before the FAQ is
> > deemed ready.
> > The URL:  http://www.slcc.edu/cgi-bin/lynx/fom
> > In particular, I'm interested in feedback on the presentation style and
> > other user interface issues.
>
> I've gotten some feedback and modified the FOM source a bit so that
> the generated pages are almost-valid HTML and am now moving on to the
> content. Other code changes may be implemented later.
>
> I've created 2 subcategories so far, with more to come. Before I spend
> too much time on a bad layout, I would appreciate more feedback on the
> latest content. The categories I plan are derived from "Al's picks":
>
> *) Top Five
> *) Trouble spots
> *) Tips on use
> *) Adjusting configuration
> *) Compile and install
> *) Escaping and URLs
> *) Security
> *) General information
> *) Related starting points
> *) Copying

All right; the first 5 categories exist, although compile and install is
a shell. Please don't add anything yet, but if you notice problems in
the first categories send me email so I can fix it up.

I've tried to use short category titles so that headings are readable.
Let me know if anything is *too* terse.

I have attempted to put good keywords in the answers, but left the
pointers to the email archives. I'm sure newer answers exist for some of
these questions. Try the search features to see if your ideas on finding
questions and answers work.

Once I'm finished copying Al's picks, anyone can register by filling
in the web form page with their email address. No human approval is
required. If you start an answer but give up, stub pages may be created.
Let me know and I will clean it up.

If anyone else wants to help moderate this, let me know. It is a little
tedious to wait for the forms to post, but I think this is a cool way to
add your favorite pet peeve of a FAQ instead of re-posting "This is a
FAQ...".

Marvin the Paranoid Android.