Re: lynx-dev Lynx (2.8.2rel.1) botches input type=submit value= w/spaces

From: John Hascall
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx (2.8.2rel.1) botches input type=submit value= w/spaces
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:40:38 CDT

[BTW, I am sub'd to lynx-dev, no need to cc me too]

> On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, John Hascall wrote:
> > It appears that if I have a form with:
> >     <input type=submit name=action value="   Help   ">
> > when the form is submitted I get back:
> >     action=Help
> > (that is, with no spaces).
> > Most annoying (it also appears to be rendered on the screen
> > with no spaces, but that is less of a problem).

> Ok, could you please give us some arguments why it should be changed.
> For example, some standard that you are aware of that deals with this.
> Also, what do other browsers do.  (Is there uniform behavior, only lynx
> does it differently?)

  Yes, giving you what you asked for is what Netscrape and Exploder do here.
  I'm not sure that's uniform (but these 3 are all I have to test against).

> What exactly should lynx send back in this case? "+++Help+++"?  or
> "+Help+"?  (SGML rules about collapsing whitespace - do they apply
> here?)

   +++Help+++

   I do not think collapsing whitespace applies here since
   the definition is:

<!ATTLIST INPUT
        TYPE %InputType TEXT
        NAME CDATA #IMPLIED
        VALUE CDATA #IMPLIED

> Are there other form control where this applies?

   Well, obviously if type=text/password/hidden stripped spaces that
   would have been noticed a long time ago.  But, I haven't
   so maybe that's another one.

John