Re: lynx-dev Lynx (2.8.2rel.1) botches input type=submit value= w/spaces

From: John Hascall
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx (2.8.2rel.1) botches input type=submit value= w/spaces
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:02:00 CDT

Sheesh,
   Not 5 minutes after I reply, do I finally find some statement on this...

   As of HTML 4.0 (from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html)
   [note that last paragraph]:

+ 6.2 SGML basic types
+
+ The document type definition specifies the syntax of HTML element
+ content and attribute values using SGML tokens (e.g., PCDATA, CDATA,
+ NAME, ID, etc.). See [ISO8879] for their full definitions. The
+ following is a summary of key information:
+
+     CDATA is a sequence of characters from the document character set
+     and may include character entities. User agents should interpret
+     attribute values as follows:
+       . Replace character entities with characters,
+       . Ignore line feeds,
+       . Replace each carriage return or tab with a single space.
+
+     User agents may ignore leading and trailing white space in CDATA
+     attribute values (e.g., "   myval   " may be interpreted as "myval").
+     Authors should not declare attribute values with leading or trailing
+     white space.

    So, I stand corrected.  (I think)

    But, I still think this is a p*ss poor idea.
    I know I'm forever doing CGI forms which 'remember' input
    values from invocation to invocation -- that is:

    and if the user type "   myval   " in that field, the next
    time around I send:

    since if they entered "   myval   " I assume that's what they meant!

John