Re: lynx-dev external won't work

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev external won't work
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:01:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My system is Debian slink 2.1, x86. lynx version Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2
> (1998)
>
> I got two things that don't work here:
>
> 1. I got a line in /etc/lynx.cfg:
> EXTERNAL:http:wget -q %s &:TRUE
> I got wget installed&working, but when I go and download some http: url, it
> just downloads through lynx.

Fix your mail stuff to break lines...

You need to use a separate key, not 'd'.  Invoke the 'K'eymap page and
find the EXTERN key.

> 2. I got another line that goes:
> COLOR:4:black:lightgray
>
> All other lines work but this one (for bold etc) doesn't. Bold shows up as
> white fg on same background as normal text.
>
> Any feedback appreciated.
> --
> - Andrei

I bet you use the text console (you didn't say so).
Lynx with slang sends escape sequences for underlining *in addition*
to the color setting escape sequences for COLOR:4 (and 5, I think).

It is a property of the linux (color) (vga?) text console that it
simulates underlining by changing the fg color.  The bad news is that this
overrides the specified color.  The good news is that the color used to
simulate underlining can be configured and changed anytime.  Discover
'setterm -ulcolor' and your use of the linux console will become
a lot nicer.  For example man pages are more readable.

   Klaus