Re: lynx-dev ^L in popup corrupts screen (w/ ncurses)

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^L in popup corrupts screen (w/ ncurses)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 07:57:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > > Do others see this too, with ncurses?
> >
> > I did try to check it. I compiled ncurses-5.0 on this FreeBSD 2.2.7
> > system and compiled lynx with it. However ncurses insists in not allowing
> > TERM=vt100 to display colors.
>
> Yeah, but why should it?  (Just because others do it?)
>
> Or, to ask differently, why do you insist on calling it a VT100 when it
> isn't?

I don't call it anything. The authors of very widely used terminal emulators
decided to include color capability in their vt100/vt102 emulations, just
that. Programs like ProcommPlus, Telix and Telemate for MS-DOS, and Desterm,
Novaterm and ACEterm for the Commodore 64/128.

> Well, I have no problem with *that* part of lynx-with-ncurses.

And I presume you're using real terminals, not "fake" ones as I am...

> > It even considers the "Color" option an "unmodifiable" one. So, I erased
> > that lynx compiled with ncurses, erased ncurses and went back to my old,
> > proved and reliable lynx compiled with slang.
>
> Heh, that's your choice.

Yes, it is. The choice for slang has been made a long time ago and not just
because of colors.

> But you could have checked whether the popup problem exists in mono, before
> erasing that lynx...

I didn't explicitly check it because, according to your description, your
problem is clearly a ncurses color-related problem (another one...) but when
I tried to enable colors in the form-options menu, or whatever it is called,
I could see all the options in the pop-up list. Anyway, you can always check
it yourself by using a vt100/vt102 terminal emulator. You'll get a nice
monochrome screen...

Ismael
       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden    |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://ismael.cordeiro.com/   |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://pubnix.net/users/ismael |