Re: lynx-dev lynx as Test Instrument

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx as Test Instrument
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:00:37 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Martin McCormick wrote:
>       I am maintaining that if it works with lynx, it will work with
>IE or Netscape or any of the hand full of other browsers that students
>might bring to the table.
>
>       Lynx should illustrate those places where text is missing.
>
>       This and the "bobby" application should give our web folks a
>couple of good tools with which to gauge the things they are trying to
>do.
>
>       I would like to hear any comments on this approach because it
>is an opportunity to maybe break a lot of bad habits and get on the
>right path.

The one thing that pops to mind is that if your site uses frames, you'll
see a lot of "this site doesn't work with frames" text, because of the
way Lynx does frames (they're all separate links that you can go to
separately, rather than showing them all in one page).

I guess you'll notice a lot of alternate tags for links or images missing,
that's good..

I realize lately I've been talking a lot about the competitors to lynx, but
at least for the frames issue, you may want to check out w3m,
http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/
since it shows frames much more like GUI browsers.