Re: lynx-dev Feature Request (not bug)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Feature Request (not bug)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:24:43 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 15-Dec-99 09:40 Adam Price wrote:
> >       it would be great if, when reading from the command line, lynx
> > will treat ANY file with .html in it anywhere as an html document.  If I
> > download something as important.html#Table_of_contents, it is a pain to
>
> Does 'd'ownload made a suggested filename without tripping #frogment ?
> Seems so.

 And the saved document is text/html (since we have fragment).

It's *just a suggestion*!

People should edit it down anyway to the name they want, instead of
just accepting everything.

(Your logic "since we have a fragment, it must be text/html" is wrong.
Let me give you a link to 'd'ownload:
<ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/net/infosys/lynx/current/PROBLEMS#blah>.
Can you see from the URL-reference whether that is text/html?)

> >From the other hand, when 'p'rinting to local file we got nearly the
> same suggested file name (*) but the output is text/plain !
>
> IMHO, this could be "fixed" to strip #fragment from suggested file name
> in both cases.
>
> (*) if the original URL have no #fragment we got ".txt" extention
> but with #fragment we got ".html#fragment" extention.

I'm not against improving Lynx's suggestions for filenames.

But if people don't realize now that they are just *suggestions*,
and are not able to remove an obviously superfluous "#fragment" part
to get a more useful filename, then those people will never be happy.

What happens when you 'd'ownload <http://www.microsoft.com/>?
Whose fault is it that, if you accept the suggested filename, you
don't get a file ending in ".html"?

  Klaus