Re: lynx-dev SSL and Lynx

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SSL and Lynx
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:02:24 -0500 (EST)

From: Michael Lerman <address@hidden>

> I don't understand that !!!
> We can download from all around the world netscape navigator and internet
> explorer which include also SSL encryption. That is fine. But it is not
> possible to find a similar compiled binary version of lynx with SSL. Where is
> the logic ?

Netscape and Microsoft pay lawyers to deal with the issues of paperwork,
petitioning the US government, etc., and in fact,
at least in the case of Netscape, even have code which checks to see if you
are inside or outside the US and provides access to differing versions of
netscape depending on that.

Lynx has no central company with lawyers interested in filling all the
appropriate paperwork, etc.

No brave person outside the US appears to be advertising the availability
of precompiled or at least per-merged versions of the code.

Perhaps one of the many non-US people who so badly want this feature will
some day step forward and brave the possibility of intergovernmental
strike forces, lawsuits, etc. and make said code available.

To date, the few people doing any lynx development have felt their time was
much better spent actually working on bugs and new features, rather than
jousting windmills...
--
Larry W. Virden <mailto:address@hidden><http://www.usenix.org/events/tcl2k/>
-><-