Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:46:23 +0100 (BST)

> Apparently a little papeerwork would allow you to distirbute the lynx SSL=
>  =

We knew this and told you this before.  The problem with SSL Lynx now is
that you cannot distribute it in the USA because of a licensing conflict
(true for any GPLed SSL code) and in my interpretation of the licence,
you cannot distribute it anywhere else.  This has always been the only
reason why it cannot be distributed within the USA and Canada.  This will
change some time in the next couple of years, when the patent expires, but
I don't think it has expired yet.

Incidentally, as you keep saying Britain has no restriction, you might
want to note that a recent newspaper article said that the UK is holding
out against EEC plans to remove export controls on encryption.  They might
not enforce them, but they do have the laws.