Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 04:10:00 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?"
[06/Jun/2000 Tue 15:47:36]
Chuck Martin wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 03:56:21PM -0700, David Combs wrote:
> >
> > "Lesser" gpl?  Is that the "LGPL"?
> >
> > Please, what IS the LGPL?
>
> I believe the LGPL is the *Library* GPL.

Yes, thanks.  I'd heard it referred to as the Lesser GPL, but
that was wrong.  Sorry to confuse anyone.  You can very easily
find this license using an FTP search engine with "COPYING.LIB"
as your search string.

The FreeBSD license I have on-disk is so short I couldn't be sure
if it allowed commercial use or not.

> > Is COMMERCIAL software allowed to include something that's
> > under an LGPL license?
>
> Yes, that was its intent.  The LGPL was created to allow GPL libraries
> to be used in writing commercial software, something which the GPL
> would not allow.
>
> > Also -- what are the OTHER licenses for freeware -- that do
> > NOT restrict commercial software from using?
>
> The Artistic License that comes with Perl is one.  The BSD license
> is another.  I'm sure there are others.  Of course, anyone can create
> their own license that says whatever they want, but many of these
> pre-existing licences have been either created or reviewed by lawyers.

I think that's *why* these various open licenses were created,
and written in such broad terms.  A programmer who doesn't know
much about copyright/patent law could very easily have his ideas
stolen when writing his own freeware license, and could very easily
lose his shirt hiring a lawyer to write one for him, even if the
lawyer in question charges relatively low rates for that profession.

                          Patrick
                <mailto:address@hidden>