Re: lynx-dev Re: Mike suggested , I contact Lynx-dev for help

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Mike suggested , I contact Lynx-dev for help
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:47:15 -0400

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 12:20:22PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:

> If you want to view text with character from many different writing
> systems *at the same time*, then you need a text-mode environment that
> supports UTF-8, as well as appropriate fonts.  The only suitable
> environment (for lynx) that I am aware of is the latest 'xterm', which
> supports UTF-8 with the -u8 switch.  You may have to get and compile
> a newer version of 'xterm'.  Tom Dickey (on the lynx-dev list) knows
> best where to start (I'm not sure what's the canonical place to get
> a working but not-too-experimenta version).

The version in my ftp area is supposed to be working (I haven't
incorporated Robert Brady's experimental patch because I haven't had
the time to work on it).

> I guess it should be possible to get an 'xterm -u8' running on Solaris
> or DEC, and have it DISPLAY remotely on an X server running under NT
> (if that's what you use -not completely clear, see below), if the
> X server has appropriate fonts.  I'm not sure, never have tried.

fonts are the main issue (it happens that the X environment that I use
at work doesn't recognize fonts that I might add - so I only run the
UTF-8 version at home ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com