Re: lynx-dev A Missing >...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A Missing >...
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:45:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> I downloaded a copy and looked at it (I haven't spent the time to figure
> out how to make w3m work with our firewall), and can see where to tweak
> the html as well.  There are actually two details that I can see where
> w3m differs - it also tolerates trailing whitespace inside the tag, e.g.,

> is also not recognized by lynx.  Both conditions look fairly
> straightforward to check for (though I've not done much with that part of
> lynx).

There's already some logic in SGML.c that would recover in these
cases.  It can be enabled by a 1-bit (yes, bit not bye) change
in HTMLDTD.c:

change
#define T_STYLE         0x40000,0x00000,0x00000,0x7638F,0x76FAF,0x8001F,0x00000
#define T_STYLE         0x40000,0x00000,0x00000,0x7638F,0x76FAF,0x8001F,0x00008

(and similar for T_SCRIPT if you wish).  This will be effective only
in Sorta SGML mode though.

If the '>' is completely missing from the '</SCRIPT>' tag, some stuff
after the defective tag will just be junked - until the next '>';
this isn't different from missing '>' in other situations.

I don't think this is the best way.  It may also prematurely end the
SCRIPT contents on '</SOMETHING' that isn't '</SCRIPT', and while that's
not valid input (any '</SOMETHING' in the script content should have been
written with some form of escaping), it is probably more useful to continue
looking for a '</SCRIPT' in that case.

   Klaus