Re: lynx-dev LYNX: meaning of "Bad partial reference; stripping leading

From: Duncan Simpson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: meaning of "Bad partial reference; stripping leading dots"?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:43:31 +0000

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:
> >On many FTP servers, you may notice two "directories" [I think
>
> They _are_ directories.
>
> >that's what they are] in every listing, named "." and ".."  Entering
> >"." puts you in the current directory [possibly a refreshed listing?],
> >and ".." moves you up one directory.  The system might put these
> >here automatically for some reason, I don't know much about it.
>
> They are simply directory entries. ".." refers up one, and "." is the
> current directory..  (Hmm, I was thinking that ".." may be a soft link
> to the upper directory, but I guess not..    I was thinking it was then
> maybe a hard link...

. and .. *are* hard links, modulo the magic that happens at device boundaries
on unicies.  A direct effetc of this is that you can compute hte number of
subdriectoires of a directory as <reference count>-2  (in the rout diretcory .
and .. are the same directory). As with all hard links they repesent a device
and inode combination. There is no preference for any of the various names
that refer to a given device and inode combination. Symbolic links are
genuinely different.

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is