Re: lynx-dev TAB character in text input fields of html forms

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TAB character in text input fields of html forms
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:34:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, John Huang wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I have the need to enter a string containing a TAB character into a
> text field of an html form (don't ask me why; the server expects it).
> I have not been able to do so with lynx because hitting the TAB key
> skips to the next link in lynx.  I have also tried to enter "\t" or
> "	" in place of the tab, but apparently it's not working because
> the server doesn't recognize it.  Lastly I tried to change the form
> html by giving my string in the "value" attribute of the "input" tag,
> and that doesn't work either.

Try that last one but make the INPUT field TYPE="hidden" instead of
TYPE="text".  Possibly put the character into the value attribute in
"	" form.

As others have said, there is no way to have a TAB character as part of
a line-editable input field and keep it as a character distinct from
SPACE.

>   I'm using "Lynx Version 2.8rel.2 (1998)" on a RedHat Linux 6.0
> system, with Intel Pentium hardware.

That's really quite old.

   Klaus